J's Indie/Rock Mayhem

Playlists, podcasts and music from WQFS Greensboro's J's Indie/Rock Mayhem

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Thanksgiving Inquiries

Hopefully everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving day. I was lucky enough to partake of two meals. The only drawback to that is that you have to ration the food. I couldn't go all out at lunch since I knew I'd be having dinner eventually. But needless to say it was a nice holiday. And that's not a bad problem to have. I am grateful.

Speaking of things for which I am grateful, I am grateful for the vast, wiki-style knowledge of the readers of this blog and listeners to my radio show. Much like in my day job, I feel as if I'm not just a teacher but a student as well. Which is why I'm asking all y'all to help me compile some information for some shows I'll be doing in the coming months. Here are the subjects:

Minneapolis/St. Paul: I want to dedicate a show entirely to this birthplace of great rock and roll. I would be lying if I didn't say that I loved a good handful of bands that hailed from this town, but if I'm going to put together a show of music, I need your help. The following are a list of Minneapolis/St. Paul bands that I can think of. An asterisk indicates that I believe them to be from Minneapolis, but may just be from Minnesota. Confirmation would be great:

The Replacements, Husker Du, The Suburbs, The Suicide Commandos, Prince, Soul Asylum, The Jayhawks*, Run Westy Run*, Semisonic*.

Any help in listing additional bands, clarifying any mistakes I've made with the above list, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Put them in the comments.

Great Record Labels: I want to do a running feature next year in which a certain record label is featured on one show a month or else a little bit on each show per month. Ideally, I want the labels that have been most important to independent/college radio over the past 30 years. I will probably pick a list of 12 and do one per month throughout 2006. All suggestions would be appreciated. Again, put them in the comments.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home