J's Indie/Rock Mayhem

Playlists, podcasts and music from WQFS Greensboro's J's Indie/Rock Mayhem

Sunday, January 01, 2012

J's Indie/Rock Mayhem - 28th December 2011


[Welcome to another edition of J's Indie/Rock Mayhem - the last of 2011. But we're back to the normal stuff, already previewing new stuff coming down the pipe in 2012, as well as visiting some of the music that didn't make my top 25 list last week or the best singles list either.

I want to take a moment to thank all of you who have been listening to the show this year. I appreciate the downloads, the comments and the calls and support. It really means a lot that you guys are as excited about the music as I am.

Now, before I get sappy, onward.]

J's Indie/Rock Podcast: 28th December 2011 show

Theme Song - Peaches - "Rock Show"
>
A Place to Bury Strangers - "So Far Away" [from onward to the wall. new music from one of the louder bands i've seen in some time. looking forward to hearing the full length.]
the Clash - "Safe European Home" [from give 'em enough rope. one of my default second songs - something that out and out rocks and is classic.]
the Horrors - "I Can See Through You" [from skying. i didn't play the horrors much this year, but skying is a pretty solid record. good to hear someone channeling some peter murphy.]
Hammer No More the Fingers - "Steam" [from black shark. one of my favorite records of this year. did anyone go to their new year's eve show at local 506 in chapel hill? probably a fantastic time.]
>
Sharon Van Etten - "Serpents" [from tramp. point blank, this song is fantastic. i cannot wait to hear this album.]
Son Volt - "Caryatid Easy" [from straightaways. son volt's second album usually gets ignored because of its general same-ness in tone to trace, but man is it good.]
the Black Keys - "Gold on the Ceiling" [from el camino. pretty funky and fun song, i agree, mad dog.]
Ryan Adams - "I Taught Myself How to Grow Old" [by request from easy tiger. i talk about this on the podcast, but the caller who requested this called me back and we had a great discussion about how adams' work is divisive in completely different ways for almost every one who is a fan of his work. we all dislike some of his albums, but we all dislike different ones. fun.]
>
the Roots - "Tip the Scale" [from undun. i really do wish i'd spent more time with this record before my year-end list. this album is truly spectacular and this is one of my absolute favorite songs.]
Blitzen Trapper - "Your Crying Eyes" [by request from american goldwing. caller hadn't heard anything off this record yet, but then we talked about how amazing furr was and all that. what a great night for phone calls.]
Gardens & Villa - "Black Hills" [from their self-titled record. pretty awesome little song that i wanted to play on the top singles show but couldn't make room for.]
Matthew Sweet - "Sick of Myself" [from 100% fun. i just happened to have a copy of this with me this week and couldn't help myself. so good.]
>
Jim White - "Chase the Dark Away" [from the forthcoming where it hits you. i am already really won over by this record. we'll hear a lot more.]
Antlers - "Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out" [from burst apart. an album that i thought heavily about fitting into my top 25, but it didn't quite make it. great album though.]
Art Brut - "Is Dog Eared" [from brilliant! tragic! wanted to play this on my top singles show, but it's a bit long, so no room.]
Dwight Twilley Band - "I'm On Fire" [from sincerely. this has been a great year for hearing older music for the first time. just heard dwight twilley for the first time last week and i'm completely blown away. we'll have to hear more.]
>
Bowerbirds - "Tuck the Darkness In" [from the clearing. from their forthcoming record. really excited to hear this one - really digging on the song.]
Rock Plaza Central - "I Am An Excellent Steel Horse" [from are we not horses? an album i wish i'd written about for the best-of-the-decade pieces for aquarium drunkard now. such a powerfully unique and great record.]
Sims - "Future Shock" [from bad time zoo. another record that got past me this year and i hate it. it's really good and, as i'm fond of saying, we'll hear more. especially leading up to the doomtree show at local 506 in february. woo!]
the Replacements - "Gimme Noise" [from stink. just got word that the replacements' fandom documentary, the excellent color me obsessed, is going to be screening at night light in chapel hill on thursday, january 12th. the director will be there to answer questions as well, so definitely a must see for 'mats fans.]
>
Lambchop - "If Not I'll Just Die" [from the forthcoming mr. m. a new lambchop record is always cause for celebration, so i can't wait for this one.]
EMA - "Breakfast" [from past life martyred saints. an album that i'm only now getting to truly absorb, but man, it's interesting. not sure why i like it, but i do.]
PJ Harvey - "In the Dark Places" [from let england shake. this year's mercury prize winner is pretty fantastic, but again, i'm remiss in leaving it off my year-end list.]
Richard Buckner - "Traitor" [from our blood. another song from another record that probably should have ended up on one of my year-end lists somewhere.]
>
Bombadil - "The Pony Express" [from all that the rain promises. a great song from a great north carolina band. one of my favorite guests from this year's shows.]
Wild Flag - "Glass Tambourine" [from their self-titled record. one of my favorite concerts of this year. such a tremendous live show.]
the Jayhawks - "She Walks In So Many Ways" [from mockingbird time. wish i'd been able to see the reunited band this year, but alas.]

That'll do it for this week. I'll be back next week with the usual slate of new music - until then, take care.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 6:53 AM, January 03, 2012, Anonymous Star Boarding said…

    Nice post thanks for this post this very informative post

     
  • At 10:00 PM, January 07, 2012, Blogger Justin Steiner said…

    Thank you for a great 2011. You mentioned on Twitter the other day that maybe you would not podcast as much but I hope you don't change. I can't listen live due to the time difference and my schedule and I really look forward to your podcast downloading each week. I love hearing music I've not heard before and your mixture of that and music I love works very well. Just my two cents. :) Happy New Year!

     
  • At 10:57 PM, January 07, 2012, Anonymous mae said…

    thank you for including one of my favorite bands The Black Keys in this post. I feel they are extremely unrated even with songs like Gold on the Ceiling and this incredibly addicting one:
    http://shrt.fm/uQKwnn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home